Chief Operation Officer
Job Description: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
CALYX Client is a vertically integrated seed-to-sale cannabis enterprise which operates licensed retail dispensaries in the Los Angeles area. With a range of recreational and medicinal cannabis products under development, CLIENT will launch its first brand in June 2019. Concurrently the company is constructing a micro cultivation and manufacturing space in East Los Angeles and plans to break ground on its commercial cultivation center in California City this year. We aim to be the brand of choice in the cannabis space within 2 years and are assembling the team capable of delivering to that promise.
About the Position
We are searching for a proven Chief Operating Officer who thrives in a dynamic early stage company environment. The chief operating officer position provides the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the company has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to effectively grow the organization and to ensure financial strength and operating efficiency. The position accomplishes this through a respectful, constructive and energetic style, guided by the objectives of the company.
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management to the company that mirrors our adopted mission and core values. Bottom line: Help us build to become the company and brand of choice in the cannabis industry.
- Responsible for driving the company to achieve and surpass sales, profitability, cash flow and business goals and objectives.
- Responsible for the measurement and effectiveness of all processes internal and external. Provides timely, accurate and complete reports on the operating condition of the company.
- Spearhead the development, communication and implementation of effective growth strategies and processes.
- Collaborate with the management team to develop and implement plans for the operational infrastructure of systems, processes, and personnel designed to accommodate the rapid growth objectives of our organization.
- Motivate and lead a high performance management team; attract, recruit and retain required members of the executive team not currently in place; provide mentoring as a cornerstone to the management career development program.
- Act as lead "client-care officer" through direct contact with every client and partner.
- Assist, as required, in raising additional capital at appropriate valuations to enable the Company to meet sales, growth, and market share objectives.
- Foster a success-oriented, accountable environment within the company.
- Represent the firm with clients, investors, and business partners.
- Strategic Thinking.
- Results Driven.
- Business Acumen.
- Decision Making.
- Financial Management.
This position has overall supervisory responsibility for all corporate operations – sales, marketing, retail, manufacturing, distribution, and service.
We are a start-up, growing rapidly and building out operations in all areas. This job operates in a professional office environment.
This position regularly requires long hours and frequent weekend work.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in business or related field.
- At least 8 years of strong, progressive operational experience, preferably in CPG (Consumer Packaged Goods), FMCG (Fast Moving Consumer Goods), or pharmaceutical industries.
- Big company experience and knowledge of working with a start-up
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in business or related field.
- At least five years in a senior management role.
- 1 year in a senior role in the cannabis industry.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning and analysis with previous experience overseeing human resources, information technology, and legal.
- Skilled in organizational development, personnel management, budget and resource development, and strategic planning.
- Excellent people skills, with an ability to partner with a dynamic leadership team.
- Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to corporate mission.
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.
Client is an equal opportunity employer.