Chief Scientific Officer
"A Science company". Not a cannabis company trying to learn science.
Our client, an established and successful CBD scientific company, is looking for the right person to be a member of their team in an exciting emerging area in North Carolina.
The Chief Scientific Officer drives the advancement of patient safety developing accurate testing Standard Operating Procedures supervising and training Lab Manager(s) and Lab Technicians by rigorously and creatively applying their scientific knowledge, expertise and Lab experience. The Chief Scientific Officer possesses and leverages his or her credibility to inform and influence, leads activities on hemp, cannabis and cbd to provide insights for the proper procedures for handling samples to be tested and reporting results to the sampled cultivators and/or processors. The CSO shall be responsible for training and oversight supervision of all laboratory staff and for ensuring that the laboratory achieves and maintains quality standards of practice.
Position requires demonstrable skills in:
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures that include the following methods of analysis:
- Methods established in accordance with "Cannabis Inflorescence: Standards of Identity, Analysis, and Quality Control" (2014) monograph published by the "American Herbal Pharmacopoeia" or alternative methods that have been reviewed and approved by the North Carolina Department of Commerce;
- Assuring that Testing equipment is properly maintained and calibrated to assure the highest accuracy in testing quality;
- Develop specific testing procedures that may include, but is not limited to, the following:
- Cannabinoid testing and content (CBC, CBD, CBDa, CBG, CBN, THC, THCa, THCv, etc.)
- Bulk materials
- Crude oil
- Full spectrum distillate
- Broad spectrum distillate
- Terpene profile
- Pesticides/fungicides/plant growth regulators
- Residual solvents
- Heavy metals
- Microbiological contaminants (mold, insects, bacteria, etc.)
- Develop Confidence in the Applicant as a laboratory that perform testing, and assurance in the test results, and to take appropriate steps through accreditation to the ISO/IEC 17025 standard. Appropriate testing is critical to demonstrate that these products do not contain harmful levels of contaminants or adulterants and are safe for public consumption.
- Provide high-level commentary on Medical Cannabis Reports (MCR’s). Responds to potential crises involving MCRs. Communicates with Chief Executive Officer. Communicates with outside industry entities as needed to support MCR surveillance.
- Provides high-level commentary on vital complaints. Responds to crises involving cannabis complaints. Communicates to Chief Executive Officer. Communicates with outside industry entities as needed.
- Proactively identifies need for analysis of potential safety issue. Communicates results of analysis to Chief Executive Officer as needed.
- Serves as a key advisor in management review meetings.
- Advises in business critical, high risk or high visibility Product Inquiry Report (PIR) issues, provides authoritative opinion; anticipates challenges and poses unasked questions; may request additional investigation; provides critical review at all phases of PIR.
- Shall be responsible for training and oversight supervision of all laboratory staff and for ensuring that the laboratory achieves and maintains quality standards of practice.
The Chief Scientific Officer shall meet the following qualifications, at a minimum:
(1) Bachelor of Science in chemical, environmental, or biological sciences from an accredited college or university and two years of post-degree laboratory experience, or;
(2) A master's degree in chemical, environmental, or biological sciences from an accredited college or university and four years of post-degree laboratory experience.
- Laboratory: 2 years