Director of Sales
Looking for a self-motivated Director of Sales possessing an entrepreneurial spirit, track record of success and a strong desire to make a significant impact on the growth of a start-up CBD business; an individual that can develop the vision, sales processes, hiring, training, and compensation strategy for a newly formed sales department.
Location: Currently remote but a sales headquarters will likely be within the Midwest when a suitable location is determined, as the sales force is developed, over the next three to nine months.
About the COMPANY
Our client is a vertically integrated “seed to sale” CBD enterprise that operates farms in CO, IL, and MI. As a company, we operate on a global scale with products being shipped worldwide. Our sales are primarily focused on bulk wholesale CBD products, private label CBD products and wholesale packaged CBD products. With a wide and expanding range of products under development or newly released, our client seeks to develop a strong niche within the CBD market by offering high quality CBD formulations developed in-house using hemp grown on our farms, processed in our facilities and independently tested by third party laboratories for consistency, potency and purity.
About the Position
Reporting to the CFO,the Director of Sales will initially focus on generating and closing B2B sales (a pipeline of leads already exist). As the company’s sales and the sales team grows, the Director of Sales will transition into leading, growing and mentoring the sales team while continuing to develop strategies to generate profitable revenue and achieve sales and gross margin objectives.
The ideal candidate will possess exceptional sales talent in order to increase the company’s market share and be responsible for developing and maintaining effective key customer relationships by promoting the company’s product lines. Essential deliverables for this role include the creation of and timely implementation of sales department initiatives, accurate reporting of sales calls, quotes and WINS, efficient allocation of resources and achieving aggressive financial.
This will be a key position. As such, the Director of Sales will have the opportunity to build a sales department from the ground up and be an integral part in the company’s direction and success.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Use expertise and sound judgement to continuously drive sales and profit.
- Develop and execute key sales objectives and initiatives.
- In conjunction with marketing, develop and execute promotional activities throughout the customer base to increase brand awareness, customer engagement and sales.
- Develop and enhance effective customer relationships through leadership and support in managing the company’s various distribution channels to ensure effective market penetration and mutually respectful relationships with our customer partners.
- Exceptional communication to ensure customer needs and expectations are exceeded.
- Ongoing facilitation with and resolution of customer concerns.
- Vigilant presence in the CBD community and with customers to strengthen brand and reputation.
- Setting and achieving performance goals that are challenging and tied to overall company strategies.
- Recruiting, training, providing clearly defined goals and expectations, mentoring, managing and holding accountable (through appropriate systems) an effective sales team.
- Creating an engaging environment where each individual team member has the ability to maximize his/her own professional and personal growth and development to execute all job functions at an expert level.
- Continuously empowering and inspiring team members through the highest levels of expectations and providing one-on-one feedback to improve individual performance and company growth.
- Ensuring solid financial management, controls and budget oversight.
Position Type/Expected Hours:
This is a full-time position. Minimum expected days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 9:00am to 6:00pm (Eastern). This position requires moderate to frequent travel with occasional evenings and weekend work as the job duties demand.
About the Ideal Candidate
Minimum Experience Required:
- Minimum of 6 years experience leading sales and sales teams in a wholesale, consumer products environment
- Minimum of 5 years of sales management experience in a business to business sales environment
- Wholesale or direct sales experience required
- Expertise in CRM system use, Salesforce.com or similar
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Relationship building and relationship management skills
- Microsoft Office skills should be intermediate or advanced level
- Knowledge of wholesale sales techniques to grow revenue and profits
- Experience in consumer-packaged goods/alcohol and beer/food and beverage industry
- Strong digital marketing skills
- Candidates will be tested using the Asher or Kurlan sales assessments